Leaf collection schedule and details for 2012 in Lexington, Ky:
If you want to let the city collect your leaves in Lexington this year then now is the time to get prepared. The collection starts today and will be finished before Christmas. The map below shows how the city is divided into areas for collection. Collection begins today in area A which is basically between Nicholasville Road and Richmond road.
The basic facts about the leaf collection are listed below. This is taken from LexingtonGov.com.
My understanding is that these leaves are composted. So if you do not have your own compost bin you can let the City collect your leaves, compost them and then buy them back from the city next spring when you need compost for your garden. This of course helps provide jobs for city workers and provides extra money to the oil companies who provide petroleum to power the trucks, leaf blowers and recycling equipment.
But for a better and greener way -- you could collect your own leaves and compost them! It could be an adventure! (Keep telling yourself that.) You can get the details on how to do your own composting from this blog I wrote a few months ago. Of course this method provides healthy exercise, does not pad the pockets of the big oil companies and saves taxes. What's not to like?
2012 Leaf Collection facts
- This program is for those residents of Fayette County who are in the Urban Services
Area. Those who receive trash collection through the Lexington-Fayette Urban County
Government Division of Waste Management qualify for this service. Residents who
have private collection or other services for trash collection do not get leaf collection.
- Residential service will begin on Monday, November 26, 2012, for one collection only.
- The Division of Streets and Roads will administer the leaf collection program.
- Crews use eleven truck/vacuum units.
- The service area is divided into four areas or zones. Each zone will be serviced one
time in 2012. Visit the LFUCG website (www.Lexingtonky.gov/leaves) to determine the
day your zone will begin leaf collection.
- Leaves will be collected in Zone A which is in the southern part of the city beginning
Monday, November 26.
- Leaves will be collected in Zone B which is in the western part of the city beginning
Monday, December 10.
- Leaves will be collected in Zone C which is in the northern part of the city beginning
Monday, December 17.
- Leaves will be collected in Zone D which is in the eastern part of the city beginning
Monday, December 3.
- Every street in the Urban Service area will be covered only one time in 2012.
- Leaves will not be picked up when cars and other vehicles are parked on the street in
front of leaves. By preventing access to picking up leaves, you will not have your
leaves picked up.
- Do not rake leaves into the street. This is hazardous and unsightly and could bring a
citation and/or fine.
- The target date for completion is the end of the year. Inclement weather will be a factor
for determining the completion date of leaf season.
The Jubilee Team of Rector Hayden Realtors
Lexington's Green Thumb Realtor
The Jubilee Team, Paul Campbell and Dorothy LaBar
Paul's Contact Info: 859.684.5890 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dorothy's Contact Info: 859.608.0724 email@example.com
A Google Map Showing Where the Jubilee Team Helps Sellers and Buyers.